TE-08 Type 170 Traffic Signal Controller
DescriptionThe Type 170 traffic signal controller is widely used in California. This hands-on course covers all key topics needed to understand the capabilities and uses of the 170 controller, including hardware and software, communication protocols, how to program signal timing plans into the controller, and how to maintain the equipment and trouble-shoot problems. Students will engage in numerous hands-on exercises in a combined controller and computer lab.
- overview of the Type 170 controller equipment
- cabinet components (standard and optional)
- input/output files
- mechanical and electronic systems
- controller software modules
- communication and interconnection protocols
- timing sheets and signal plans
- programming timing plans into controllers
- pedestrian and vehicle clearance timings
- controller logic commands
- detection schemes
- field conditions
- cabinet and controller diagnostics programs
- maintenance of controller equipment
- trouble shooting
What You Will LearnStudents become familiar with capabilities, uses, operations, and maintenance of this controller. Students learn how to program the controller to meet agency operating requirements and provide a safe and efficient environment for both motorists and pedestrians.
Who Should AttendThis course is intended for traffic engineers, technicians, and others wanting to learn about the operation and maintenance of the Type 170 controller. Experienced engineers and consultants wanting a refresher course in the current state of the practice will also benefit.
For More InformationAbout our courses and credits, see About our Classes
About cancellations, refunds, and substitutions, see How to Enroll
Or email us with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call us at 510-643-4393
Return to Course Listing