PL-52 CEQA Transportation Impact Analysis under SB-743: Resources, Methods, and Tools (online)
Please Note: This is an online class.
CreditsThis course grants .8 CEUs and 8.0 AICP CMs. (AICP CMs pending approval)
DescriptionSenate Bill (SB) 743 represents a fundamental shift in the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) transportation impact analysis that has implications for local and regional transportation planning. As required by SB 743, the California Governor's Office of Planning and Research (OPR) has recommended the replacement of vehicle LOS with vehicle miles of travel (VMT) as the new metric for analyzing transportation impacts. So, instead of basing impacts on changes to existing traffic conditions, impacts will be based on how much vehicle travel a project generates. To understand this shift, this course will explore the topics listed below. Click here for a detailed course outline.
- SB-743 updates the CEQA metric of transportation impact--context and purpose
- Technical overview of VMT analysis methodologies, thresholds, and mitigation measures
- Opportunities to update transportation planning practices to align with these changes
What You Will LearnThe course will provide students with approaches for implementing SB 743.
- Various methodologies lead agencies can use to assess project VMT
- How to choose which methodology to apply for a given project
- Modeling tools for quantifying project VMT, VMT thresholds, and VMT reduction from mitigation measures
- How to connect VMT reduction goals to goals for energy, air quality, greenhouse gas emissions reduction, and transportation.
Who Should AttendThis course is intended for planners, engineers, policy analysts, and CEQA practitioners, among others, in private or public practice who want to understand the technical details associated with SB 743 implementation and the fundamental changes in current transportation impact analysis practices. This is not an introductory course on CEQA or environmental analysis. Training participants are expected to have the requisite knowledge on CEQA and the environmental-analysis professional practice in California. Before taking the above course, trainees who may need some basic training on CEQA may want to explore CEQA: Step-by-Step Approach offered by UC Davis Extension.
For More InformationAbout our courses and credits, see About our Classes
About cancellations, refunds, and substitutions, see How to Enroll
Or email us with your questions at email@example.com
Or call us at 510-643-4393
Return to Course Listing