Please Note: This is a computer lab.
Instructor InformationThis class is offered in partnership with the California Department of Transportation, Division of Local Assistance. Registration fees are subsidized with funding from the Cooperative Training Assistance Program. Reduced rates are available to employees of California's city, county, regional, and other public agencies only.
Check for other dates/locations
CEUs: CEUs: 1.60
DescriptionThis course covers the concepts, practical applications, and operations of isolated traffic signals. The course engages students through hands-on exercises and real-world examples of signal timing and operations. Class exercises and demonstrations are taught in a computer lab. A basic knowledge of EXCEL is needed to complete the exercises. NOTE: This is an introductory course in a series of courses on traffic signal operations offered by the Technology Transfer Program. It is strongly recommended that students complete this course before taking either Traffic Signal Operations: Coordination for Corridors (TE-10) or Synchro and SimTraffic (TE-13). It is also helpful for students to complete this course before taking Type 170 & 2070 Traffic Signal Controllers (TE-25). What this class is not:
- You will not learn how to coordinate signals, this is covered in TE-10.
- We will not teach you to use Synchro, this is covered in TE-13.
- You will not learn how to program controllers and equipment - only partial instruction on timing sheets and detector settings, etc., this is covered in TE-25.
- You will not learn how to design signals, only how to define specifications like detector setbacks, turn lane lengths, etc. Traffic signal design is covered in TE-02 and TE-41.
- types of traffic signals
- principles of signal timing
- timing of fixed and actuated signals
- pedestrian considerations
- introduction to signal coordination
- detector logic
- gap settings
- recall and other features
- signal timing using Excel Spreadsheet (PlanSig)
- when to change timing settings
- Synchro input
- learn to understand Synchro output (PlanSig results will be compared to Synchro output for one of the in-class problems)
- hands-on problems and filling timing sheets
What You Will LearnStudents learn how to time isolated signalized intersections focusing on how to apply basic principles in real-world situations.
Who Should AttendThe class is for traffic engineers, planners, consultants, and technicians who are new to traffic signal timing. Experienced practitioners who desire a "refresher" course might also benefit from this course.
For More InformationAbout our courses and credits, see our FAQ
About cancellations, refunds, and substitutions, see How to Enroll
Cancellation fee is $75. There are no refunds for classes with registration fees of $75 or less. For all other classes, you may cancel your enrollment and receive a refund of your registration fee less $75, provided we receive your written request to cancel at least 5 full working days before the class is scheduled to begin.
In lieu of canceling your registration, you have three additional options, you may (1) transfer your registration to another class, (2) receive a tuition credit for the full amount, useable toward a future class, or (3) send a substitute in your place. Please contact us at least 5 full working days before the class is scheduled to begin so we may process your request.
We recommend you discuss any possible problems or online security issues with your IT person before you register for any online classes. If you are worried about connectivity issues, please contact the online training coordinator the week before the class to schedule a time to test your system. If you do not test your system and you have technical issues during a live online class, we will not provide a refund.
Or email us with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call us at 510-643-4393
Return to Course Listing
powered by ACEweb from ACEware Systems, Inc.