PL-02 Funding and Programming Transportation Projects in California
CreditsThis course grants 1.6 CEUs and 16 AICP CM credits. (AICP CMs pending approval)
DescriptionFunding state and local transportation projects in California is a complex process involving multiple inter-related federal, state, regional, and local planning and operating agencies, as well as an alphabet soup of documents and funding programs. Changing requirements and shifting political priorities can further complicate the process. Without a map and a strategy for developing fundable projects, public agencies and local governments risk losing funding opportunities. This course explains how the process works on the ground and provides planners, project managers, and grant managers with guidelines for thinking strategically as they develop fiscal plans, programs, and project descriptions.
- How the federal and state funding process works in California, including relevant rules and laws
- Specific policy concerns in California
- Navigating the institutional frameworks through which funding decisions are made
- Specific roles played by MPOs, the CTC, and Caltrans
- How conditions governing different funding sources influence what gets funded and what does not
- Programming process and its iterations in different TIPs
- Steps to build an effective funding strategy
- How to match project description with eligibility criteria for key fund sources
- Current state and federal transportation funding issues, including recent the recent federal FAST authorization and other legislation affecting funding
What You Will LearnThis course focuses on the dynamics of transportation funding, as well as knowledge to inform practical grantsmanship. Students develop a better understanding of how the process works in California, including who the players are, how to develop or match a project with a particular funding source(s), and what's on the horizon with regard to funding priorities. This is not a course on how to prepare a Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) or how to meet specific procedural requirements for a funding program.
Who Should AttendThis course is for transportation planners and project managers in state and local agencies or governments, regional planning agencies, and transit operators. It will also benefit board members, managers, and others involved with developing fundable plans and projects and understanding where transportation funding comes from or how transportation investment choices get made.
For More InformationAbout our courses and credits, see About our Classes
About cancellations, refunds, and substitutions, see How to Enroll
Or email us with your questions at email@example.com
Or call us at 510-643-4393
Return to Course Listing